College Girl Erica's

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

About Me

I am a sister of three brothers, one being younger than me. I was born and raised in North Philly. Unfortunately, domestic issues caused me to take flight to the Northeast suburbs with one of my brothers. I considered myself as independent every since the age fourteen when I got my first job at the Athletic Recreation Center. I went from job to job, from buying my own clothes to helping my mother pay bills, and now having to pay my own bills. Also, I’ve always loved school and would cry whenever I had to stay home due to snowstorms or sore throats. All the teachers I ever had loved me, but not exactly a teacher’s pet. It was the fact that I was always eager to learn, determined to be the best, and challenged others to work to their fullest potential.

In addition, I have always been easily inspired. I was inspired to get out of the “hood” from watching my brother move from North Philly to the Northeast, inspired to become a model from watching America’s Next Top Model, inspired to be a fashion designer from making Barbie clothes out of old socks, inspired to become a Reregister Nurse from my childhood dream career, inspired to become a schoolteacher from tutoring everyone in the neighborhood, inspired to become a rapper from listening to my brothers and cousins rap, inspired to become an artist from falling in love with my very first art class, and inspired to become a writer from writing in my diary and reading Philly’s Andrea blogs. Of all these things the thing I love most is writing. Writing allows me to express my emotions, cleanse my soul, explore my imagination, plan my goals, to get over a lover, to evaluate myself, and more.

In the past years I have learned a lot. It was quite hard moving from girlhood to womanhood. Even though, it was painful and stressful it was also an experience that was worth while. I remember when boys didn't even notice me, but as soon as I got breast I couldn't fight them off! (lol) I have been in numerous relationships and I can honestly say I do not regret any of them because each one taught me something. I just thank GOD that it didn't take a baby to teach me any lessons. Throughout life no matter what my struggles were, I never allowed them to make me lose my faith and determination. I been through so many changes and sometimes I find myself crying everyday. I use to wonder why my life was so terrible. Now I know why because like they say what don't kill you only makes you stronger. Considering all the things I have been through I think I am strong enough to bench press the world! (lol)

In closing, I would just like to thank those who believed in me and fought this battle called life with me because it was a hell of a journey and to think it's just getting started is too overwhelming. Time is flying by too fast and I sometimes wish it were more hours in a day and more months in a year.

No comments: